Roller Recipes for Essential Oils
I love using rollers to apply my essential oils topically, which is one of the three ways to use essential oils! Roller bottles make using essential oils really convenient and easy to use. The recipes are already made in a roller so instead of having to take out each single oil every time I want to apply the oils, I already have them blended in roller bottles. When I got started using oils, I didn’t know how to make a roller. I would take out each single oil every time I wanted to apply the combination of essential oils. I don’t know why it took me so long to make something so easy. Once I figured out that rollers take a minute to make, my life became easier and we all need things to be easier sometimes. Rollers can go everywhere too, purses, diaper bags, sports bags, desks or lockers at school, or even on your nightstand. I love having my favorite ones in my essential oil bag that I just toss in my purse, such as my Wellness Roller, Pollen Buster, Stress Away, and Rise and Shine, right into my purse or travel case.
I use a variety of roller bottle sizes. Typically, I use 5ml or 10ml around my house, but sometimes I share 2ml rollers with friends or family that ask me about my oils. I think that everyone can use a Stress Away roller in their pocket. All my favorite roller bottles that I use can be found on my supply page.
Below you will find some of my favorite roller recipes, but I recommend getting a few essential oil books so that you can make even more roller recipes with more of Young Living Essential Oils, they have over 300 essential oils. Oil & Glass Recipe Book and Vitality: The Young Living Lifestyle are two favorites, but I have several that I use often and I listed on my supply page. The recipes listed below are for 10ml roller bottles and for adults, if you are looking for roller recipes for expecting mothers, babies, children, or pets, please follow safety guidelines and follow proper dilution ratios for each essential oil. My two favorite resources when considering babies, children, or animals, are the books: Gentle Babies and Animal Essential Oil Desk Reference Guide.
Don’t be scared, it's really simple to make rollers. Here are the steps: The first thing you will do is add the essential oils to the bottle. For a 10ml roller bottle, for an adult, I typically put about 40 drops total of essential oils depending on the types of essential oils desired for the recipe. Once I have the selected essential oils in the bottle, I will then fill up the rest of the bottle with my carrier oil of choice. I use a dropper bottle filled with the carrier to make my rollers. I love using fractionated coconut oil, jojoba oil, almond oil, and grapeseed oil. I have 2 oz droppers all over my house for convenience of using carrier oils. To finish up making the roller, I put the roller ball on top, put the cap on, and then label it with something catchy and compliant.
When I make my rollers, I customize the blends to support my body and what I need at the time. I can always add other essential oils or take one out of the recipe depending on my need or supply. If you do not have something, feel free to just leave it out. The blend will still support you body. When I got started using essential oils, I was really concerned about following recipes, measuring, and putting the “correct” number of essential oils in my products. If one or two extra drops get into the bottle, it's fine, I know I used to be concerned that I messed something up but to be honest there is enough carrier oil in the roller for correct dilution on your skin. If you are worried about the total number of drops, you can always remove a few drops of a different oil that wasn't used yet so that you stay around the 40 drops total or simply when you apply the roller add some carrier to the location until you have room to add more carrier to the bottle.
Let's get to the fun stuff, here are a few of my favorite roller recipes for a 10ml bottle. Remember, if I use a 5ml bottle I only put about 20 drops total, and if I am creating these for a little one I change the recipe to follow proper dilution ratios.
1. Breathing Is Fun - 10 drops Raven, 10 drops Peppermint, 10 drops Frankincense, 10 drops Copaiba
- I rub this one on my chest before a workout, long run, or in the fall and winter months.
2. Ache No More - 15 drops Panway, 15 drops Peppermint, 10 drops Copaiba
-I apply directly to muscles, apply to temples or base of the brain to soothe head tension.
3. Sleep / Calm - 10 drops Lavender, 10 drops Frankincense, 10 drops Stress Away
- There are a lot of calming and relaxing essential oils, these three are from the starter kit which is amazing. I apply the sleep roller to the bottom of my feet before I retire at night. Other great calming oils that we have in our house are: Dream Catcher, Peace + Calming, White Angelica, Cedarwood, and Sleepyize.
4. Focus - 10 drops Frankincense, 10 drops Copaiba, 10 Drops Lavender, 10 drops Cedarwood
-I apply on my wrists, behind my ears, collar bone, or the base of my brain.
5. Wellness Keeper - 10 drops Thieves, 10 drops Frankincense, 10 drops Lemon, 10 drops Raven
- I apply to the bottoms of my feet and spine every night before I retire, I also increase use when feeling a little below the wellness line or plan to travel. It’s important to remember that citrus oils, including Lemon, has photosensitivity properties, please do not wear this roller blend on sun exposed skin areas, which is why I put this one on at night or on my feet. Sometimes I may add Oregano or Ginger to the recipe.
6. Seasonal Support - 15 drops Lemon, 15 drops Lavender, 15 drops Peppermint
- I apply behind ears, bottom of my feet, spine, or wrists. I sometimes even add in Copaiba to magnify the properties of other essential oils. Again, it's important to remember that citrus oils have photosensitivity properties, so I do not wear this roller blend on sun exposed skin areas.
7. Tummy - 15 drops DiGize, 10 drops Peppermint
-I apply right onto my stomach or on bottom of feet.
8. Rise and Shine - 10 drops Peppermint, 10 drops Lemon
-I apply to my spine, bottom of my feet, or behind my ears. Remember, all citrus oils should not be worn on areas that are exposed to sun due to photosensitive properties. I sometimes even add Citrus Fresh to the mix.
9. Happy - about 30 to 40 drops total of essential oils that you love!
-I apply behind my ears, on my wrists, or on my collar bone. I love Stress Away and Citrus Fresh. My recipe would be 20 drops Citrus Fresh and 20 drops Stress Away. You can customize this roller with essential oils that support your emotions and mood.
We designed the “Oil Sister” community to deliver information on topics ranging from buying quality essential oils, using essential oils safely and effectively, creating your own DIY essential oil blends, and a list of trusted supplies to use with your essential oil recipes. Together we aim to share our experiences and testimonies regarding Young Living essential oils to effectively create a toxin-free environment for our health-conscious community.
Disclaimer: All information, content and product descriptions contained within this domain are for reference purposes and are not intended to substitute advice given by a pharmacist, physician or other licensed health care professional. We do not advise you use the information contained within this website, or any other site for treating a health problem or disease or to make a self-diagnosis, without speaking with your doctor. Actual product packaging and materials may contain different information than shown on this website. Contact your health care provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem. Information and statements regarding our products have not been evaluated by the FDA. We are not medical professionals and this information is not, in any way, intended to take the place of medical advice. This information located on this website is for educational purposes only and is primarily based off opinions and facts that we have found to be true in our own experience and with research we have gathered from books and online. We are not diagnosing, treating, or prescribing. If you have any health conditions, are on any medications, are being seen by a medical professional for any reason, are elderly, pregnant, nursing, have babies or young children or animals please consult your physician or veterinarian as well. Application of this material is personal choice and in no way is the author responsible for the application of these choices.